April 27, 2009 / jadettman

The List: Games I'd Like to Play/Run

There are many games that I would like to play or run (usually run, mostly because I’ve got more experience on the GMing side of things). Unfortunately, my preference for longer series games rather than shorter arcs or one-shot games means that it’s unlikely I’m ever going to get through all the games on my list.

I could, of course, make a concerted effort by declaring that I only want to play/run a game for six months to a year before switching over to something new but I don’t know how well that would go over with the gaming group.

Anyway, without further ado, here is the list of games that I would like try sometime, in no particular order:

4th Edition Dungeons & Dragons: I’ve wanted to play 4th Ed. since before it came out. The streamlining of the d20 system and the (purported) easier, faster GM prep looks very enticing. I also like that every character has powers. It just looks like a well thought out and modern design to me. If it were up to me, it would be the next game I played or ran (not necessarily long term, just enough to really get a feel for the system).

Mouse Guard: This looks like a Burning Wheel game that I could get into. The system has been streamlined, I like the setting from the comic book, and I could see running a few missions just to see how the game feels.

Swashbucklers of the Seven Skies/Zorcerer of Zo: I’ve wanted to try out one of the PDQ system games since I heard about Dead Inside. The system is supposed to be lite and simple. The latter iterations of the system, S7S & ZoZ, are both supposed to be more refined which is why I’m now more interested in them than earlier versions.

Mutant City Blues: Pelgrane Press and Robin Laws have been doing some interesting things with their Gumshoe house system but, while I enjoy the Cthulhu Mythos as much as the next gamer, I don’t really need another game about investigating horrors from beyond time and space (Nemesis did a good job on that one for me recently). When they released Mutant City Blues, though, I was sorely tempted to open my wallet. I loves me some superheroes and, even though Mutants & Masterminds really hits the sweet-spot for me, the thought of running a Powers style game with MCB is pretty tempting.

Spirit of the Century: Powered by FATE 3.0, Spirit of the Century looks to be some serious pulpy fun. Reports from the internet suggest that it can make a good pick-up game and that even making a character for it is fun. Also, I want to seeĀ  aspects, which are one of the game’s big mechanics, in play.

My Life with Master: I’ve owned this one for some time and it’s fixed narrative arc intrigues me. I’d like to say more, but I just don’t know enough about it which is another reason I’m interested.

Legends of Middle Earth: This one I’ve wanted to see in action for a while and writing up this list reminded of it. In fact, now I need to go back and read the game again to remind me why I thought it was so cool. That’s not a bad thing, though.

So, what games are on your list to play/run?

About these ads

1. Paul / Apr 27 2009 7:58 am

I thought about this enough that I put it on my own blog, instead:

2. James / Apr 27 2009 8:58 am

Clearly we should all quit our jobs for the next year and game for 8-10 hours a day Monday through Friday. If only someone would pay me to do that… TARP fund I am looking at you.

3. Tim Jensen / Apr 27 2009 4:58 pm

You’re always welcome to come join Willow and myself for our Open Gaming sessions on Sunday afternoons at Misty Mountain. That day is reserved for one-shots and super-short campaigns, but it’s a good way to take a new game for a spin to see if it deserves an introduction to your regular group.

4. J.A. Dettman / Apr 28 2009 6:23 am

@ Paul: That’s a good list you’ve got there. I would totally play all those games except Scion. I’ve kinda sworn off WW games since the Exalted debacle. :)

@ James: I completely agree that someone should pay us to game. Of course, then it would be a job and I’m not certain I’d want that.

@ Tim: Thanks for the offer, Tim. Unfortunately, Sundays are generally when my gaming group gets together or I’m otherwise doing social things. I will definitely keep it in mind if I end up with a free Sunday, though! What time do you usually start?

5. Tim Jensen / Apr 29 2009 6:16 am

The usual start time on Sunday is 12:30 or 1:00pm.

You are also welcome to come by this Friday night (at 6:30ish) and next Friday, as our regular D&D campaign is on hold for two weeks. We have Lady Blackbird on the docket this week, and we will decide what to play next Friday at the session. I’m sure we would welcome any of the games on your list.

6. J.A. Dettman / Apr 30 2009 6:21 am

Thank you again, Tim. I may take you up on that (and I’ll PM you at the Dwarf if I do).

7. shadowwars / Jun 17 2009 5:56 pm

Great list here.

Just recently I’ve bought S7s, My Life with Master, Kill Puppies for Satan and Dogs in the Vineyard. I have read through about a third of DitV and have read/skimmed half of S7s. Both are wonderful games so far. I have no idea when or even if I’ll be able to convince my normal gaming group to try these.

Games I don’t have and want to try: Mouse Guard (or any Burning Wheel game), Bountyhead Bebop, Dying Earth, Spirit of the Century (and Dresden Files when that comes out), 4e D&D at least a couple times out of curiosity, Dread, Don’t Rest Your Head and a host of super hero games.