August 23, 2006 / jadettman

Target acquired

So, up to this point, it’s been looking like I would have to drive to Madison to game which isn’t something I’ve been looking forward to.

Yesterday, however, while looking for a fix at the local comic shop, AK Comics (they don’t seem to have a website), I discovered that their are at least a couple of gamers in Beloit.

On the up-side: Yay! Gamers in Beloit!

On the down-side: They’re recruiting new players for the 2nd Ed. AD&D game that they have been running for 15 years.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I’ve played AD&D (but I think that 3.0/3.5 is superior) and a long running campaign should mean a well-developed world with interesting bits to explore. Right?

In case you missed it: I so don’t want to play 2nd Edition AD&D again (why don’t I trash my Vaio and start using my old Apple ][e again, while I’m at it).

Oh, and there is a guy in Janesville that is looking to run a 3.x Forgotten Realms D&D game, too. I’ve never played in the FR before, so maybe I’ll give it a chance. At least it’s closer than Madison.
Just to remind myself: gamers in Beloit = good.

1. Dan / Aug 23 2006 1:21 pm

Ouch… 2nd Ed AD&D… That could be pretty painful. I mean, I have plenty of fond memories of games I played back in the day, but I really think that 3.0 was a delightful overhaul of the system and when I think back on how they used to do things it’s really with a wince and a grimace much of the time.
    On the other hand, there are no monks!

Shouldn’t there be some undergrad gamers at the school? I know that would have its own share of issues, of course, but still? Worth looking into?

2. J.A. Dettman / Aug 23 2006 6:15 pm

Yeah, I suspect that I wouldn’t last long in a 2nd Ed. AD&D game.

As for undergrads, they’ve just started arriving in town, as far as I can tell. Classes start next week, I believe, so I’m going to be keeping an eye out for gamer-sign.

Stay tuned!

3. JP / Aug 24 2006 7:16 pm

See, we’re not that easy to replace are we? As soon as you leave Ithaca the world becomes smaller…or at least the solar system does…. 😛

4. J.A. Dettman / Aug 24 2006 11:11 pm

When did I ever say you were going to be easy to replace?!? 😯

5. Britt / Aug 26 2006 11:02 pm

Yeah . . . gaming with undergrads . . .

Okay for Jason, maybe, but . . .

I dunno.

Anything more serious than D&D is heading toward a potentially weird area.

And goddamn we miss youse guys. *sigh*

6. Dan / Aug 28 2006 9:21 pm

Anything more serious than D&D is a weird area? In what sense?
    You can find pretentious gamers among undergrads… even Amber players. Didn’t you play Amber while you were an undergrad, after all?

7. J.A. Dettman / Aug 28 2006 9:30 pm

I think she may be more worried about overly intense roleplaying.

Do you think it’s a good idea to play Amber (incest, disfuntional-family issues, serious crazy crap) with your students?

On the other hand, I don’t want to have to run ‘shiney-happy Amber,’ either.

Do you see the problem?

8. Dan / Aug 28 2006 10:43 pm

Are the students likely to be in her classes, though? But I can see the problem…

It’s something about the ever-increasing age-gap between us and the undergrads.

Part of the solution would clearly be for you to get your online Amber game started?

9. J.A. Dettman / Aug 29 2006 9:03 am

Yep, that would be part of the solution, Dan. So long as I’m happy with running Amber online.

I am working on it, by the way. It’s just taking a little time to percolate out of my head. 😉

10. psauerbrei / Sep 2 2006 9:56 pm

You could always drive the hour and a half to Chicago (ok maybe two hours). We gots lots of gamers here 🙂 Oh, and glad to see you guys made it to Beloit ok.

11. J.A. Dettman / Sep 3 2006 11:32 am

Hi Pete!

Yeah, I don’t know, drive an hour to Madison or 90 minutes to Chicago . . .

Hmm . . .

Nope, not something I want to do every week. 😉

12. psauerbrei / Sep 3 2006 2:25 pm

You could try Rockford. I think Leslie said that Beloit is about 30 minutes from there and they have a number of gaming groups. Probably still a large amount of them D&D, for the most part. Seems like there are a lot of people around here who like to stay in their comfort zone 🙂

13. J.A. Dettman / Sep 3 2006 3:57 pm

Yeah, we visited Tomorrow is Yesterday , which seems to be Rockford’s premier gaming store, but they don’t seem to be much of a hub for play.

I think there was a group in back while we were visiting that was playing their Nth session of the World’s Largest Dungeon (so I didn’t want to rudely disturb them) and the two people that were running the counter didn’t seem to have a whole lot of information on the local gaming scene.

I figure the next time we go down I’ll leave some contact information on their bulletin board and see if I can find some gamers in the area.

14. psauerbrei / Sep 26 2006 1:42 pm

Looks like on the 21st of October at Games Plus in Mt. Prospect is having the Chicagoe Gameday XV including some M&M games. If your interested, there is a sign-up on EnWorld http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=175768

15. J.A. Dettman / Sep 26 2006 2:53 pm

Thanks for the heads up, Pete!

I may give a try but I’ve got other fish to fry in the meantime.

Are you going to be there?

16. psauerbrei / Sep 26 2006 7:21 pm

Not sure yet. I would have to sign up on enworld 🙂 and I still haven’t scheduled my game for next month. That is one of my open weekends, so don’t want to limit the options since it is usually so hard to find a weekend all of my player can make.