July 31, 2008 / jadettman

Sponges can't hold pencils

I spend a lot of time reading stuff on the internet. I’ve got a feed-reader that  tells me when updates happen on my most visited sites (which I read at least once a day). I follow links from those sites to other sites and I have four or five forums that I read (although I’m trying really hard to only visit forums on Wednesdays).

With all that reading, I don’t actually participate in the internet much. Other than this blog, and occasionally updating my wikis, I don’t add a lot of content to the internet.

I guess what I’m saying is that, at least on the internet, I’m a lurker by nature.

On forums, I don’t generally participate in conversations unless I’m on firm ground or I can provide a very specific answer to a question someone has. The reason I don’t participate is that I like to spend time thinking about the topic that is being discussed before offering my opinion. Surprisingly, in the quick-fire land of forum discussions, those topics aren’t around by the time that I’ve thought things through.

Does this say something important about me? I don’t know.

What do you think?

1. Britt / Jul 31 2008 3:14 pm

So wait a minute, lurker boy, you’re all like “my thoughts are all too deep and complicated to share with the internets,” but you want ME to participate on your blog?

Double standards much?

😉

2. J.A. Dettman / Jul 31 2008 5:31 pm

Actually, I believe that I’m saying, “My thoughts are too slow for me to effectively share them on internet forums.”

Also, I don’t recall forcing anyone to comment on my blog. : P

3. Zach / Jul 31 2008 5:53 pm

I post on one forum while reading tons of material from others.
    I feel the same way you do.

I also post here because I’m obligated to.

4. J.A. Dettman / Jul 31 2008 6:25 pm

In what way are you obligated to post here, Zach?

It’s not like I’m going to come to your house and give you a stern look or something.

5. J.A. Dettman / Aug 1 2008 5:07 am

Just to be clear:

I do appreciate folks reading and commenting on my blog. It is a warm fuzzy.

6. James Dobbs / Aug 1 2008 7:24 am

I have had the same feeling. One of the few forums I participate in regularly is at tech republic because it seems to me to have a lot of people who feel the same way about slower more thought out posts.

7. Shawn / Aug 3 2008 8:45 am

I feel as if I am forced to post here also.

And yes Jason, you have come over to my house and glared at me.
    I feel so… small.
    *sob*

8. Zach / Aug 3 2008 4:47 pm

Most looks I get from you Jason are Stern looks.
    If not that, then point-and-laughing at a supposed vein in my forehead or some nonsense

9. Britt / Aug 3 2008 6:32 pm

I’m just givin’ ya a hard time, J… It’s just funny to post about how you almost never post things, then end it with “What do you think?”, i.e. “Hey you lazy readers, post something!” 😉 <— See how I have disabled the stupid apologetic-looking winky smilie through my cunning use of a dash for the nose.

My friends are very generous with the warm-fuzzies, so I try to get them out where appropriate.

On your blog, though, I just leave cruel little jokes to torture you. 🙂

10. Britt / Aug 3 2008 6:32 pm

CRAPPPPPP! Stupid smilies. : (

11. J.A. Dettman / Aug 3 2008 6:36 pm

Clearly, I am a horrible, horrible person. I will completely understand if you guys want to start a support group because of me. /sarcasm

12. Britt / Aug 4 2008 9:42 am

Jasonanon?

Anonjason?

13. Shawn / Aug 4 2008 8:52 pm

WA
    Wubbie’s Anonymous.

*ducks*

14. Britt / Aug 5 2008 1:22 pm

I just can’t get enough wubbiehol.

15. Shawn / Aug 12 2008 9:16 pm

*stands & clears his throat*
    Hello everyone, my name is Shawn and I am a Wubbie-holic.

16. James Dobbs / Aug 13 2008 10:33 am

what is Wubbie? The only thing I could find after a Google search was that Wubbie was Andy Milanokis’s dog or could be “Any cocker spaniel that can fly and breathe fire.” I must confess myself confused.

17. Britt / Aug 13 2008 7:20 pm

Wubbie was my pet name for Jason. People used to call him Wubbie to irritate him. 🙂