March 1, 2010 / jadettman

AQG: First Session

Saturday, I ran the first session of the Amber Quarterly Game that has been in the works since last December. I offered to run a semi-regular game for the local Amber players at the last Wixercon and there was some interest. Unfortunately, since we’re all busy adults (also one of the reasons for Wixercon) it was determined that we could only meet about once every three months.

In the intervening time, we’ve been doing character creation and and campaign setup by email and chat.  Saturday, all of that paid off.

We got a slow start around 10 am as players started to trickle in and by Noon almost everyone was in attendance and things were in full swing. We ended up going until 10pm, though a few folks had to head home before everything wrapped up.

Overall, I feel like it was a good start to the game. Some things happened faster than I had anticipated but that rarely surprises me anymore. No campaign survives contact with the players.

On the GM front, I felt a little rusty and it took me a little bit to find the groove but I think the session went pretty well over all. Folks seemed like they were having fun and the usual politics and shenanigans were had by all.

Now to plan for the next one.

1. Siofra / Mar 1 2010 5:50 pm

Loved it! I’m so pysched. I am trying to not send you a heap of emails about it. My therapy group tells me that’s the best way to combat the addiction.

2. J.A. Dettman / Mar 1 2010 8:47 pm

I’ve been expecting the emails, though! : )

3. Siofra / Mar 2 2010 1:40 pm

Hoping to write them Wednesday. Have family stuff tonight and I pumpkin after 8:30.

4. J.A. Dettman / Mar 2 2010 7:30 pm

🙂

I wasn’t trying to rush you. Also, mostly kidding.

5. Britt / Mar 2 2010 8:27 pm

Hi, my name is Britt. (Hi, Britt.) I’m an Amberholic.

It’s been 3 days since I played my last Amber game. It’s been rough. I can’t sleep at night, I can’t focus on my work.

All I can think about is how to score more Amber.

It doesn’t help that my husband is also an Amberholic. I’ve known for years that we have a codependent relationship. It’s all about the Amber for us. It’s only a matter of time before we hit rock bottom.

6. Siofra / Mar 3 2010 8:27 pm

Hi Britt!

How do we score more Amber? Every other month??

I’ve got the shakes now….having dreams….must have…more Amber.

7. J.A. Dettman / Mar 4 2010 9:41 pm

Actually, scoring more Amber is pretty easy.

All you have to do is:

1> Clear your schedule on Sundays (every other would likely work too).
    2> Ask me to run a game.
    3> Arrange for one other player.

Also, you should probably arrange for someplace in Madison to game so I don’t have to drive 2 hours every session. ; )

Okay, maybe that isn’t easy . . .