January 14, 2011 / jadettman

Board Game Thursdays

Thursdays we drive down to Rockford to play board games. There is a solid group of seven of us now and we meet at Top Cut Comics, which used to be Tomorrow is Yesterday. I think we play a good mixture of games with a definite emphasis on the European style strategy games.

It is good to have so many people, especially because we don’t have a lot of crossover in the games that we own. That keeps things fresh with different games to play every week.

The annoying thing with board games is finding the tipping point, because not everyone can make it each week. With six players, you would almost rather find a game that plays good with everyone than split the group into two sets of three to play different games. I’ve never been particularly fond of three players games but there isn’t too much choice sometimes. There just aren’t a lot of games that deal well with six players. In our group, we usually fall back on Bohnanza, Alhambra, or Nottingham, all of which take up to seven players. That is a small group of games to rely on for that size group, though. Occasionally, we bust out Power Grid, which on the US map can take up to six players, but a six person Power Grid game can take well over two hours if you spend to much time thinking about your strategy. It isn’t always the best option.

Anyway, I occasionally wish we could find more time to play board games, because two hours a week seems a little light, but then I remember how much we roleplay. We’ve only got so much time, so there would probably have to be a trade off and then we get into the balancing act.

1. Ben / Jan 14 2011 10:36 am

Have you tried Seven Wonders?

2. Ben / Jan 14 2011 10:50 am

Posted too fast, didn’t finish thinking. Betrayal at the House on the Hill in the Forest by the River beyond the Desert with the Lead Pipe under the Stairs works with 6 and shouldn’t take more than an hour and a half. With the obvious exception of the first game.

I’ve heard good things about Citadels here, but haven’t tried it myself. Seven Wonders and Betrayal I’ve both played personally.

3. J.A. Dettman / Jan 15 2011 10:52 am

Interesting, I’ll check those two out, Ben.

We’ve played Citadels but for some reason it doesn’t make it in to our game bag that frequently. It is an okay game but my gut says that it is more about playing the other players and less about designed-in strategy.

4. Shawn / Jan 15 2011 1:22 pm

Betrayal at the House on the Hill has a replay difficulty. There are a limited number of scenarios, certainly more with the recent expansion.
    Myself, I have to limit the amount I play the game to make try not to remember the solutions.

Some other thoughts:
    Tsuro: very quick, easy, light)
    Battlestar Gallactica: will play up to 6
    Dragon Delta: will play up to 6, easy, pretty quick.
    Aquire: plays up to 6, excellent game, might be quick enough & not as complicated as Power Grid.

5. Ben / Jan 18 2011 11:05 am

Betrayal does have a replay limit, but I figure even if they’re playing one game a week it’s going to take quite a while to get through the haunts.

I assumed the two-hour thing was a limit, otherwise yeah, definitely Galactica.

6. J.A. Dettman / Jan 20 2011 8:28 am

Thanks for the suggestions, Shawn.

For some reason, I have an aversion to Betrayal at House on the Hill. I just have no interest in playing it.

I think we’ve got a copy of Acquire around here somewhere . . .

Also, Power Grid is not complicated. Fiddly perhaps, but not complicated.

7. Britt / Jan 22 2011 8:27 pm

Oh, yes, we acquired Acquire (a hah ha) for a buck or two at the Friends of the Library Sale. (http://www.booksale.org/)