March 16, 2011 / jadettman

The Stars Are Right

I’ve been working on a little roleplaying game in the same kind of vein as Lady Blackbird (which is free and you should check it out). It is a minimalist design based on the Fate engine.

Here are the links:

There are two versions of the game because not everyone owns Fudge dice but most people own two six-siders.

If you are reading this, and you’re feeling helpful, it would be great if you could take a look and share your thoughts.

1. Shawn / Mar 19 2011 10:23 am

Well, the set-up and characters look good (the Fudge version, I don’t own 2d6).
    Was there more than those 8 pages… like an adventure, or story arc of some sort?

• J.A. Dettman / Mar 20 2011 5:41 pm

Nope, just those eight pages.

What else would you want?

(Seriously, I’d like to know.)

2. shadowwars / Mar 25 2011 10:41 am

I would provide more of the adventure so that you would have everything you needed to play a one shot. This may or may not require a map. But I think it should include a general linear set of options if the group buys into the adventure. You begin at X. You want to get to Z. Here are some things in between (Y), as well as suggestions for difficulty with tests along the way, and advancement options (if that is possible in this system). Suggested conflicts and difficulty numbers helped me to mentally frame things even if they veered wildly from the script. I still felt I had enough substance to base decisions from the text in the game context.

Note: When I ran Lady Blackbird most players did not want to bother with advancement stuff, but many of them were interested in potentially buying off things as it made sense, but that was with the Keys and Secrets of that system.

3. J.A. Dettman / Mar 28 2011 4:34 pm

Food for thought. Thanks, David.

4. Dan / May 10 2011 9:57 pm

I was sort of at a loss with this as well, because I expected there to be more… specifics. Something more than just character descriptions and mechanics, I mean.

5. J.A. Dettman / Jun 1 2011 8:50 am

Dude!

The scenario was on the front page! You’re supposed to wing it. Or I guess you could pre-prep.